Wednesday, October 27, 2010

off on a tangent

I'm going crazy with the blog posts lately but it's what I do when procrastinating because there's always something to write about.  I officially finished my midterms today and for the most part they went decently.  My grades here won't be reflected at all in my overall GPA, and I need a C or better to get transfer credit, so I'm really not stressing much about my classes in general.  I'm using this semester as somewhat of a break from all of the intense studying I do for certain classes at SNC, and I just figured out my schedule for next semester and it looks like I will have a lot to do (Another accounting class, yuck.  That's one career path I have definitely ruled out).  


Sometimes the simplest things here turn out to be the most hilarious.  During my spanish economy class this morning, the conversation somehow ended up turning into a comparison of how spanish people interpret the noises that animals make compared to how they sound to Americans.  I never really thought about the difference, but it took me back to 8th grade when my spanish teacher told us that the owls in Spain say "quien," which is literally the translation of the word "who."  I eventually came to realize that the owls here don't actually say that.  My professor thought it was the funniest thing that our word for the sound that roosters make is "cock-a-doodle-doo," and he kept saying it over and over with his great spanish accent that makes his english impossible to understand.  I wish I had a recorder for that.  The spanish word for a rooster sound is "ki-kiri-kí."  The word for dogs is not "woof," but "guau guau" instead.  


Gotta love those spontaneous off-topic discussions! (My professors here certainly do.)

2 comments:

  1. Accounting class do in fact suck. A lot. Just had to affirm your statement. lol. What other classes besides Spanish Economy are you taking over there again?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have cultural conversation (my favorite), Latin American civilization (hardest), spanish civilization (the joke class), and modern art. I understand almost everything my professors say now which is an improvement for sure because it sounded like gibberish when I first got here.

    ReplyDelete