Saturday, October 2, 2010

l'umbracle (like broccoli)

Last night I took the next step trying to immerse with the Spanish culture- the nightlife aspect.  I prepared for this by taking a 3 hour nap in the afternoon, and that seemed to do the trick. 
I went with a group of friends to a disco, and the reason that I haven't previously done this is because they don't open until 1 or 2 a.m...and I'm pretty much ready to sleep by then even though the rest of Spain is just starting to get lively.  The place we went to is called L'Umbracle, and it's located right in the City of Arts & Sciences museum, which is awesome because it's such a pretty area of the city and perfect on warm nights like every night here is.  The disco itself is on and below the Calatrava bridge.  There's palm trees, glowing purple chairs, and everything else is white.  


Usually there would be a 15 euro cover charge to get into this place, but luckily we happened to meet two guys from London who had 10 free passes to get in, but the passes were only for girls so that's why they gave them all to us.  It was fun talking to them because their London accents were awesome, (one kept saying "wicked") and finding other people who speak english here is also cool.  They had overheard us talking english which is why they stopped us.  
I had fun going to this disco, but it definitely is not going to be a regular thing for me.  My host mom just laughed when I told her what time I got home, I also explained that it's difficult for me to stay awake until 5 a.m which she also found funny.  She tends to ask me if I'm going to go out every night, even during the week, so I finally had a story for her today! 


Wednesday night I went to a place called El Toro y La Luna to watch flamenco.  At first we thought it was just going to be a bunch of old guys playing their guitars, but then 2 flamenco dancers started.  It was very intense dancing and also intense guitar playing, everything very fast with short, quick movements.  It was fun to see this more traditional side of Spain, and the men were amazing at guitar.  I took some videos of the dancing that I will try to post in the future, but they take a long time to upload.  


1 comment:

  1. Those look like awesome places to spend an evening or two! Wish I could see it. Love that you are getting involved in the local culture and sites.

    Keep it going, girl!

    LYM

    ReplyDelete