Monday, September 13, 2010

miscellaneous thoughts

My host mom made paella for the first time for lunch yesterday, and it was pretty similar to when I had it in Spain in high school.  It had chicken and vegetables along with the traditional yellow colored rice.  


I'm making progress reading Harry Potter in Spanish, which is exciting because I'm getting better at understanding the flow of the language while I read and not having to think about what all the words mean.  It's also a lot more fun to read than my Latin American civilization course pack...


I also decided to participate in the intercambio program through UVA Hispanic studies and the University of Valencia.  Basically, I was assigned a spanish student friend based on interests that I wrote down.  From what I understand we have to meet twice a week and split up the time equally talking in spanish and english.  I'm supposed to help them with their english and they help me with my spanish.  So far I know that his name is Joaquín, he is studying biology, and likes music, surfing, and animals.  When he contacted me about a meeting time I thought it was someone calling a wrong number, and it was basically the most ridiculous spanglish conversation I've had on the phone.  I couldn't understand what day he was trying to say that he was available, or what building we were going to meet at.  But it's all good now and hopefully I will learn some cool spanish phrases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment