Friday, September 24, 2010

strawberry+chocolate+caramelized cookies..best way to start the day

I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to go back to llao llao today and try new toppings on my frozen yogurt.  That did happen and it was just as amazing as I anticipated :) 


View from outside- the museum is under this water
I did do something more cultural this morning as well.  I went with some members of my group to el museo de la almoina, which is an underground museum that displays some of the original streets of Valencia throughout several different empires including the Roman Empire, los visigodos, and the Islamic Empire.  In addition to the original stone roads, there are also artifacts like pottery, ancient baths, and tombs with some original human remains still there.  On one of the main roads there was a large stone that literally served as a "speed bump" when the roads were used.  I guess even the Visigoths liked to "drive" too fast...


We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but that's what Google Images is for, right?

View from below looking up through the glass
One of the artifacts that we found entertaining was the ancient "piggy bank" that was discovered while they were excavating the city.  It looked like a round rock with a slit for putting money in it, but what made it so rare to find was the fact that in order to get the money out of it, you had to break the entire thing.  (Good motivation to not spend money perhaps?) So clearly the odds of finding one of these intact are pretty slim.  

1 comment: